Helena used one to make the crown and two sopra reinforcing the bridle
With respect preciso the relics of the Crucifixion – the so-called insegna Christi (‘weapons of Christ, or Instruments of the Passion) – Lombardy has long since cornered the market on the Holy Nails. Milan’s Holy Nail (Retto Piano) is securely fixed puro the sommita of the Duomo’s apse where it is identified by a red light. It’s free sicuro view, but binoculars are recommended (see future post on Milan’s Santo Presa ‘Holy Bridle’ and the Rite of the Nivola)!
Some fifteen kilometers away, Monza’s Holy Nail comprises the inner band of the Circolo Ferrea (‘Iron Crown’), Italy’s famed royal crown and national symbol (see future post on the Corona Ferrea). The Circolo Ferrea is kept con the Chapel of Theodelinda of the Monza Chiesa principale and costs four Euros for a fifteen minute viewing.
While there’s niente affatto such thing as ‘finders keepers’ with Christian relics – relics were frequently stolen and plundered, such as Milan’s relics of the Magi – there has been verso Ambrosiano connection to the Holy Nails for over 1600 years. In 395 CE, Saint Ambrose of Milan made per historic digression in his funeral oration for Emperor Theodosius (347 – 395 CE) sopra which he provides our earliest extant source for the relics of the Holy Nails, purportedly discovered by Saint Helena during her Holy Land excursion con 326 – 328 CE.
‘Helena sought the nails with which the Nobile was crucified, and found them. (more…)Learn More